Development Team Lead
What Now?! is proud to bring you London’s smartest map and city guide, helping you discover the best parts of the city as you experience it, without worrying about roaming charges. Since our soft launch in April 2014 we have had nearly 400,000 downloads of our app on iOS only- with zero spent on marketing.
What Now?! recently partnered with the Transfer and Activities Bank (TAB) division of the Hotelbeds Group to deliver a mobile-first booking solution for in-destination tourism - working with various partners like hotels to deliver both added value to guests as well as an additional revenue stream.
Prior to launch, we were showcased by TechCrunch as one of their Top 15 European Startups at their Disrupt event in Berlin, as well as by PhoCusWright at their Travel Innovation Summit in the US (the largest such event in the global travel industry) as one of 2013’s Top Travel Innovations. We were also shortlisted for the UK’s Most Innovative Mobile Company as part of the UK government’s Department of Trade and Investment’s Smart UK Initiative. In Autumn 2014, TechCrunch invited us back on stage at their Disrupt conference in London as one of their successful Startup Battlefield companies (which was hugely flattering as previous alumni have included Dropbox and Yammer!).
The role is to take on ownership of all active front end and back end development processes within the business.
The What Now?! platform is planned to continue growing rapidly the future, with a large number of new features planed in several different domains, along with the scaling up of the platform to serve millions of users worldwide and cover hundreds of new destinations.
Your responsibilities will involve seeing that the planning and execution of all What Now?! development projects is managed fully. What Now?! is looking for the right individual to manage our front end (iOS/Android) as well as back end development resources and projects. You will be expected to help translate the business requirements into executable road maps, and implement whatever practices and methodologies you see fit to see the fulfilment of work is done in a timely manner. You will be expected to liaise with key stake holders throughout the business as well on a regular basis.
- Project Delivery - create and maintain project plans
- Development - technical design and implement, test and debug code
- Management - lead and manage software developers and testers
- Communication - communicate between technical and non-technical teams
- Experience of developing in iOS or Android
- Experience of managing/team leading development team
- 2+ years of general software development and 1+ year of leading a development team, preferably in commercial environments
- Experience developing Mobile applications in a Client-Server or Multi-tiered model
- You can point to a public iOS/Android GitHub project, which you create.
- Some basic graphics manipulation knowledge with Open Source image manipulation tools such as Gimp or Inkscape would be a plus.
- Experience with agile development.
- Experience developing custom UI components
Job type: Full-time
Compensation: Generous and includes employee share options, dependent on your experience and performance
Start Date: as soon as possible
Job location: Techhub@Campus, London, UK
Size of the startup: under 10