Senior iOS Developer
Enjoy spontaneity when travelling?! Most travellers only finally decide what they want to do once they’ve arrived in their destination, on a day-to-day basis, making decisions based on things like the weather, their mood and location. Sunny lunchtime? Café outside with a river view. Rainy afternoon? Museum nearby.
What Now?! helps travellers discover the best things for them to do once they are in their destination - from planning their immediate next steps to even being able to go explore offline as if they were still “live” on their smartphone, but without worrying about data roaming or connectivity.
Our initial app version became the Official Tourist App for London (in association with the mayor’s office/tourism board), got showcased on stage by Techcrunch at their Disrupt conference (twice!), as well as at the world’s largest Travel Innovation Summit in the US and shortlisted as one of the UK’s most innovative mobile companies by the UK government’s Department of Trade and Investment. We have generated hundreds of thousands of downloads of travellers arriving in London – all without any marketing spend!
The next phase of our growth sees us move from just being a consumer app to a wider in-destination travel solution found at key in-destination locations like hotels.
We’re a small, lean start up team connected by a love of travelling and exploration. We’re looking for like minded individuals who are as passionate as we are about changing the face of travel and building a better experience for travellers and travel businesses in the future. We want people who are comfortable forging new paths, willing to take risk and make mistakes along the way. Our favourite kinds of people are those who want to push themselves and raise up their team members to all achieve great things together. If you’re someone who thinks you can bring all this to the table and act with integrity and leave egos at the door, we’d love to talk to you.
The role is to take ownership of the full front-end development of What Now?! both in the strategic technical decision making in building a product roadmap, but also in the core execution and management of delivery for the business.
The What Now?! core product exists as an established iOS consumer app in the marketplace. Alongside this are a pipeline of non-consumer offerings being designed and prototyped. We’re looking to significantly expand our development output, so the ideal candidate will be comfortable taking an active role in not just the production of products, but the planning and prioritising of all front-end requirements, as well as ownership of building a team capable of scaling rapidly over time.
Our ideal candidate will be comfortable executing across a wide range of mobile environments over time. Our efforts span across multiple verticals and the right person for us should be comfortable collaborating across multiple development landscapes, including back end, and Android and web development projects. Stakeholder management is also critical, as you will be working closely with product management and design resources to ensure that the best possible product can be delivered as effectively and efficiently as possible.
You should want to code great apps, and have a balanced approach to development where finding better, cleaner, more efficient and maintainable ways to solve problems is just as important as finding solutions and adding new functionality. Above all, we expect you to be an active and keen participant in the process of taking the What Now?! platform forward.
- User interface development experience in iOS, using Objective C and UIKit
- 2+ years of general software development, preferably in commercial environments
- You’ve launched at least one native iOS application.
- Experience with agile development.
- Experience using XCode for development
- Experience with the standard UIKit framework and direct creation and management of UI components in code, ideally with auto-layout
- Experience with using Version Controls systems, ideally GIT
- Knowledge of Design Patterns
- Knowledge of unit testing frameworks for the iOS platform
- The ability to optimize an Application for the limited resources of the mobile environment
- Awareness of user interaction and usability concerns
- Start-up experience is a plus
- Experience building, launching and maintaining app products
- Experience developing Mobile applications in a Client-Server or Multi-tiered model
- Experience retrieving data from a server using a REST interface
- You can point to a public iOS GitHub project, which you created
- Some Android development experience would be a plus
- Some basic graphics manipulation knowledge with Open Source image manipulation tools such as Gimp or Inkscape would be a plus
- Experience with multi-threading, especially Grand Central Dispatch
- Experience developing custom UI components
Job type: Full-time
Compensation: Generous and includes employee share options, dependent on your experience and performance
Start Date: as soon as possible
Job location: Techhub@Campus, London, UK
Size of the startup: under 10