What Now?! is proud to bring you London’s smartest map and city guide, helping you discover the best parts of the city as you experience it, without worrying about roaming charges. Since our soft launch in April 2014 we have had over 400,000 downloads of our app - with zero spent on marketing.
What Now?! recently partnered with the Transfer and Activities Bank (TAB) division of the Hotelbeds Group to deliver a mobile-first booking solution for in-destination tourism - working with various partners like hotels to deliver both added value to guests as well as an additional revenue stream.
Our MVP became the Official Tourist App for London in conjunction with the Tourism Board/Mayor's Office. Prior to launch, we were showcased by TechCrunch as one of their Top 15 European Startups at their Disrupt event in Berlin, as well as by PhoCusWright at their Travel Innovation Summit in the US (the largest such event in the global travel industry) as one of 2013’s Top Travel Innovations. We were also shortlisted for the UK’s Most Innovative Mobile Company as part of the UK government’s Department of Trade and Investment’s Smart UK Initiative. In Autumn 2014, TechCrunch invited us back on stage at their Disrupt conference in London as one of their successful Startup Battlefield companies (which was hugely flattering as previous alumni have included Dropbox and Yammer!).
The role is to build the Android application for the What Now?! service under the direction of the CTO and in collaboration with server side developers and graphic designers. This will involve designing, coding and testing an entire new application with the same functional requirements as the existing iOS application and using the existing server interface.
The What Now?! platform is planned to continue growing rapidly the future, with a large number of new features planed in several different domains, along with the scaling up of the platform to serve millions of users worldwide and cover hundreds of new destinations.
This is a fast-moving startup environment, so the ability to wear multiple hats when needed, take on new challenges and in general learn whatever needs learning on the go is very important.
You should want to code great apps, and have a balanced approach to development where finding better, cleaner, more efficient and maintainable ways to solve problems is just as important as finding solutions and adding new functionality. Above all, we expect you to be an active and keen participant in the process of taking the What Now?! platform forward.
- Commercial user interface development experience in Android using the standard UI toolkit
- You’ve designed, built, and launched at least one native Android application
- Commercial Software Development experience in Android
- Awareness of user interaction and usability concerns
- Experience retrieving data from a server using a REST Interface
- Experience with multi-threading in Java
- Experience with local caching of data in a mobile device and associated trade-offs
- The ability to optimize an Application for the limited resources of the mobile environment
- Experience in having responsibility for a full project or entire modules within one.
- Familiar with unit testing frameworks for the Android platform and how to use them.
- Knowledge of Design Patterns
- Capable of working to targets under light supervision
- Experience with using Version Controls systems, ideally GIT
- Experience developing Mobile applications in a Client-Server or Multi-tiered model
- Commercial experience designing and developing a networked Android application.
- 4+ years of general software development, preferably in commercial environments
- Ideally some basic graphics manipulation knowledge with Open Source image manipulation tools such as Gimp or Inkscape
- You can point to a public GitHub project, which you created
- Experience with agile development
- Experience developing custom UI components
Job type: Full-time
Compensation: Generous and includes employee share options, dependent on your experience and performance
Start Date: as soon as possible
Job location: Techhub, Old Street, London, UK
Size of the startup: under 10